The 2023 application is now live!
The Jake Pratt Scholarship Fund Sponsored by UPS will provide individual grants to people with Down syndrome who desire and intend to enroll or continue enrollment in a post-secondary program that will enhance their life through employment, independent living or life skills, or interests in any other areas.
Please read all the information before you apply and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you have.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Filling out this application indicates that the applicant meets these requirements:
- The applicant is an individual from Alabama with Down syndrome who is at least 18 years old, or who will turn 18 by July 1 of the application year.
- The applicant has the intent to enroll or continue enrollment in a post-secondary program at a university or community college within the United States, with an IPSE (Inclusive Post-Secondary Education) program; it must be a program of or directly affiliated with an accredited institute of higher education (IHE) and they must support students with intellectual disability.
- Applicants will provide copies of a high school diploma or equivalent, a high school transcript if graduating in the spring of the application year or an acceptance to or current enrollment in an IPSE program.
- The scholarship funds must be applied toward tuition – funds can be used for housing, food, or transportation ONLY if these costs are already included as part of the IPSE programming fees. Separate payments will not be made for these accommodations.
- Funds must be paid directly to the IHE. No reimbursements will be made to the individual or family.
- DSA will award up to 3 scholarships of varying amounts, together totaling $5000.
- All scholarship funds must be used within one year.
- You must provide 2 letters of recommendation.
- You must include at least one supporting documention. Any supporting documentation you think will help the scholarship committee in their deliberations is allowed. This may include artwork, videos, awards, pictures, employment history, advocacy, extracurricular activities, etc. Anything you send with your application cannot be returned and becomes the property of Down Syndrome Alabama.
You can apply online (preferred) or download the PDF version of the application and submit it to Down Syndrome Alabama via email or USPS. Please be sure to read through all instructions carefully to ensure that you submit all required materials and that we receive everything on time and in the correct format. Once we receive your application, you will receive an email confirmation of receipt. If you do not receive a confirmation, please email email@example.com to make sure your application was received.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have after reviewing the application process. We are extremely excited to get to know you and learn about your journey to higher education!
How to Apply?
Make sure to read all instructions and to have all your documents ready before you apply. You may download the pdf version and use it as a rough draft of your application.
You can fill out the online application or send in a pdf version by email to email@example.com or by USPS to 3000 Riverchase Galleria, Suite 1500, Hoover, AL 35244.
Help us get to know you better! The essay or personal statement should come from your heart and no longer than one page.
Have anyone who knows you well and who you inspire write your letters. It could be a teacher, coach, therapist, best friend, employer, etc. Ask them to keep the letter to one page.
Submit at least one documentation of supporting materials you think would help us get to know you better and that represent your vision for your future. These may include artwork, videos, paintings, photographs, etc. Please note: anything shared with DSA cannot be returned and becomes the property of the scholarship committee.
Applications are due on April 7, 2023!
Complete and Submit the Application Online
Complete and submit the DSA's Jake Pratt Scholarship application online and submit it to us when you are finished.
Print and Mail or Email the Application
Download and print DSA's Jake Pratt Scholarship application, fill it out and mail or email it to us when you are finished.